"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day!

J and I officially became a couple five years and three days ago today.

So, I had been his girlfriend for only three days on our first Valentine's Day. He had a big night planned, which was a nice change for me - previous to J, I had an all-jerks-all-the-time dating policy. And jerks don't plan nice Valentine's Days.

Anyway, I drove downtown to pick him up from work, and he has the most distraught look on his face. With the saddest voice and biggest puppy dog eyes he tells me that he had lost his wallet during the day. And so, because I was flat broke at the time, our first Valentine's Day was effectively cancelled. I was just happy that we were together, but he was so worried I would be disappointed. It was just so sweet that he cared so much - I remember feeling like the luckiest person alive - and five years later, I still do!

For the last four years we've celebrated our anniversary on the 11th and have, for the most part, lumped Valentine's Day in. But! This year, since we will now have a new (wedding!) anniversary, we are finally going to celebrate Valentine's Day up right.

No comments: