"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama

Monday, February 28, 2005

For Stag: Locations

Stag says:
I’m wondering where all you have lived and if you know anyone in Portland.
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I have only lived in 2 states: Colorado and Arizona. And Arizona was only for 1 semester when I studied at the Biosphere.

I lived in the mountains for a short time after being born, but grew up in the northern suburbs of Denver. As a teenager I lived in all sorts of crappy apartments all over Denver and the metro area. I currently live in a small town just east of Boulder. There's a great bus system here, so I catch a bus, practically at my doorstep, that takes me right to CU.

We liked this town a lot when we moved in, and there are some aspects that we still do: lots of little parks and a cute Main street. But the crime has increased and the population in the immediate vicinity of where we lived has increased significantly. We're ready for a change.

As for Portland (yay, Portland!), I know Shelley from the blawgosphere and am looking forward to meeting her in person during the Lewis & Clark preview weekend in March.

There are also lots of Biosphere alumni in the area, most of whom I haven't met yet, but Biosphere people are usually very excited to meet other Biosphere people so that should be fun.

This one isn't Portland, exactly, but a favorite professor of mine (one of my recommenders, also from Biosphere) does research on Mt. St. Helens every summer so it will be nice to be able to see him more often.

J also has a friend from high school who now lives in the Portland area, though not in Portland. I met her at Christmas, she was very nice (from what I can remember - I was still in a major post-hospital-daze).

Requests Note: I'm going to postpone telling my GED story for now, because there has been enough depressing stuff on this blog for a little while. I will get back to it eventually.

No comments: