"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama

Sunday, January 23, 2005

It's (More) Official

The engagement party last night was better than I ever could have hoped. It was held at a beautiful teahouse in Boulder that everyone thought was lovely. Everyone got along very well - there were no awkward silences or embarassing conversational faux pas involving politics.

J's dad gave a very nice toast and his mom gave me an old, incredibly stunning necklace that had been in her family for five generations! Since my mom is adopted and I know nothing about my father's side of the family I've never been exposed to anything you could call an 'heirloom' so this is very special to me for many reasons. She also included a photograph that had all of the women who had owned the necklace pictured - her mother as a little girl, her grandmother and her great-aunt who raised the grandmother. Talk about priceless, right?

My mom gave us a nice scrapbooking kit - and the offer to pay for the photographer! J's parents also announced that they had booked us a room at a five star hotel between here and Santa Fe for our wedding night. Everyone is being so generous - we are very lucky and thankful to be around so many people that love us and want to help make our wedding day and honeymoon special.

No comments: