"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama

Sunday, August 15, 2004

The Moonlight Classic

I rode in the Moonlight Classic last night - er, rather very early this morning. This event is a bike ride that starts at midnight and travels through the streets of Denver. All kinds of people show up from little kids in those bike trailers to hard core cyclists to old people. There were 5200 riders this year. The endless stream of lit up bicyclists winding through the streets of a downtown area is a fairly unique sight. I highly recommend the event to anyone who happens to be in the Denver area next August.

Last year I had been riding my bike constantly all summer by this point. Aside from being tired because midnight is so way past my bedtime I had no problems with this little ride. This year I have mostly been sitting right here since the whole ankle extravaganza and I am ashamed to admit the Moonlight Classic pretty much beat me. I mean I rode the whole thing but I was more than tired by the end.

After retrieving our complimentary breakfast of Naked juice for me, breakfast burrito and yogurt for mom (a much better spread than the Krispy Kremes of last year. Sick.) we got back on our bikes to ride the 20 or so blocks home to my mom's loft. Unfortunately we forgot that we were wearing these cutesy purple florescent light things sticking out of our helmets, and that it was 2am so the bars were just letting out. We caught not a little bit of harassment from the drunken kiddy crowd.

I got to sleep at about 4am, woke up at about 7 and my mom was nice enough to drive me all the way home. Plans for today mostly include just packing and hanging out with the boyfriend. I've been thinking about how much I'm going to miss him during our two years apart a lot this morning. I considered for the millionth time just going to my school's law school and making it so much easier on everyone involved. I pretty much know I'm not going to do it, but it is awfully tempting sometimes.

No comments: