"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama

Monday, August 30, 2004

Calendar Reform

I can't find anything official yet, but I heard today that the UN is seriously considering some sort of calendar reform. And why not? Our calendar with its tiny little February and odd leap year day sure could use some improvement. Better still, let's also do away with the whole daylight savings time fiasco. Time is such an important part of our day to day lives and I think it messes with the mind quite a bit to just up and change this internal clock twice a year. I know that I feel a little like I'm hungover for three days or so after the shift, both in the Spring and the Fall. I get distracted, I misplace things, and I just generally feel disorganized.

I say down with unnatural time systems - let's revert to a calendar and clock system that follows natural cycles. Maybe it would do us all some good :)

No comments: