"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Portland Trip Day 2

By 8:10 I was packed up and herded into a big shuttle bus that took all of the admitted students (plus parents, significant others, and other random guests) to the Law School.

L&C Early Spring
Lewis and Clark Law campus. Boley Library entrance is on the left.

I would estimate that about 200 students attended, and maybe half had at least one guest. So there were quite a few people to keep organized. In all, I think they did a great job keeping everyone moving along and getting us where we needed to be.

The first event of the day was a mock class. The large group was split in two, one half with Professor Newell and the other with Professor Brunet. I was in the latter group, listening to a talk about the various legal troubles of Microsoft. It was pretty interesting. The professor accepted questions from the students, and I was relieved when no one student dominated the class. I'm always a little embarassed (and, truthfully, a little annoyed) when this happens. I know that they say that if you don't know who that guy/girl is then it is you, but I swear it wasn't me. I didn't raise my hand once.

L&C Bunker Classroom
One of four bunker style classrooms at L&C.

Our next stop was a panel discussion on curriculum options, and how to decide what classes to take during 2L and 3L years. One thing I really like about Lewis and Clark is the flexibility in this area, as well as the very low number of graduation requirement hoops one has to jump through. This is a huge difference from my undergraduate academic career where I only was able to take one elective. Yes, one.

They talked about the various certificate programs they offer, their publications, and quite a bit about clinics, externships, and other practical skills-type offerings. The people on the panel seemed really down to earth - a common phenomenon at this particular law school, one that I really appreciate - and honest.

flip flops
I just thought this was funny.

Next up, the campus tour. Three students, 2 1Ls and a 2L, led us around the buildings and answered questions. Lots of questions about how to prepare for 1L, how many hours per day spent studying, etc. One of the 1Ls seemed quite adamant about handwriting notes being superior to typing notes. I've never known anyone to get defensive about their notetaking technique. Maybe people make fun of her or something.

Lunch came next. I was pleasantly surprised that there were plenty of vegan options. So they had one faculty member at each table, just ready and waiting for informal discussion. I sat at Professor Neuman's table. She spoke about really enjoying the open door policy that professors at L&C have adopted, and how this experience was in stark contrast to her own experience at law school. She was very good about including everyone at the table in the conversation and politely answering everyone's questions. There seems to be a lot of interest in Water Law. Several people at this event, and also other LS applicant students I know at CU, mentioned wanting to specialize in this area.

We had an opportunity during dessert to switch tables, so I sought out Professor Wold. I did finally find him, but he was so popular that his table was standing room only. He talked about working on endangered species projects during law school, and having the opportunity to attend an international conference (or similar, I missed the beginning of the story) during his 3L year. He was introduced as a "Legal Advisor" to avoid being dismissed as "just a law student." He also talked about the relative merit of judicial clerking, and the importance of finding ways to make yourself stand out from the crowd when it comes to job applications. He stressed getting published, mentioning that he was published during his time at Lewis & Clark, although not in a Law Review. I never thought about students publishing in other publications than Law Review or Journals from their schools, so this was very interesting.

Sky Bridge Bunkers from Bridge
Views of and from the Sky Bridge.


The remaining events were short talks by Career Services, Financial Aid, and then a student group tabling extravaganza. By the end of the Financial Aid talk I wasn't in the mood for any more information so I just wandered around a bit more and then headed back to the hotel.

Exhausted, a new friend and I took the light rail to the airport, hung out and drank coffee, then flew home, all the while talking and talking and talking about the law school application process. I feel sorry for those sitting near us on the little plane (which needed last minute repairs - eek!)

Tonight I'm off to the land of all that is cute: Vermont! I'll be back on Saturday.

L&C Flowers
A parting shot - Lewis & Clark Law flowers blooming in March.

1 comment:

Kim said...

You're so lucky to have met Shelley! It is so much fun to meet bloggers in real life. Sounds like you had a great trip.