"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Cut Your Losses?

About a year ago I had a conversation with a friend over some beers about her wanting to move to Norway because she felt she could no longer deal with the political situation here. I remember telling her that this was the coward's way out. That she had to stay and fight, if only with her vote and with her dollars. She didn't really think this was enough, and she hated the feelings of helplessness she had after the 2000 election and so many times since.

I'll admit that dearest BF and I have seriously discussed moving out of the country if W gets re-elected (or "re-elected.") I still believe that because it is the US that causes so much of the damage it is from within the US system, working for change, that a person can do the most good. Still, sometimes it is tempting to go the route that is best for you, personally, rather than what you think would be for the best, overall.

Here's hoping that Kerry has a great speech tonight and it reaches some of those undecideds and the Nader voters. (I'm happy to report that everyone I know who was going to vote for Nader has since joined the ABB (anybody but Bush) camp or the Kerry camp - either way planning on voting for Kerry.)

No comments: